ARKHAM WITCH "I Am Providence" (CD)Heavy Metal/Punk (November 2015)
ARTIST: ARKHAM WITCH
TITLE: "I Am Providence"
GENRE: Heavy Metal/Punk
RELEASE DATE: November 20th, 2015
LABEL: Metal On Metal Records
CATALOG ID: MOMR15057
FORMAT: CD in jewel case • 20 tracks (approx. 48 min.) • 12 pages stapled booklet with lyrics, band photos and info • All full-color
1. A New English Gentleman [instrumental]
2. I Am Providence (1890 – 1937)
3. The Haunted Tomb (1917)
4. From Beyond (1920)
5. The Catacombs of Nephren-Ka (1921)
6. Re-Animator (1922)
7. The Rats in the Walls (1923)
8. Bring the Old Ones Down (1927)
9. Cthulhu Arise! (1926)
10. Yuggothian Sunrise [instrumental]
11. Dead but Dreaming (1926)
12. And What Man Knows Kadath? (1927)
13. The Colour out of Space (1927)
14. Necronomicon (1927)
15. Hastur the Unspeakable (1930)
16. Tsathoggua (1931)
17. Rebellion of the Shoggoths (1931)
18. The Esoteric Order of Dagon (1931)
19. Witch House (1932)
20. The Haunter of the Dark (1935)
Total playing time: 48:16
• "I Am Providence" album promo clip
• "Hastur the Unspeakable" static promo clip
• "And What Man Knows Kadath?" static promo clip
• "From Beyond" static promo clip
• "Dead but Dreaming" static promo clip
ARKHAM WITCH have always had a penchant for weirdness but on their 3rd full-length they've taken things one step further, showing an even more whimsical side, and serving a subtle mix of chanting doom mongering, sing-along metallicisms and anthemic mosh agencies, all wrapped in the amorphous tentacles of Lovecraft's concepts and stories. The shift in style is quite noticeable: while it's still mostly British heavy metal rooted in the '70s and '80s tradition, the doom element present on their previous releases is subdued in favour of some punky refrains and a dose of thrash/crossover. Shorter and more melodic songs with strong emphasis on backing vocals and harmonies (though the instantly recognizable brigand-like vocals are still there too), are spiced up with some odd synth and piano, and have an overall lighter spirit, but they also deliver punches with chunky riffs that would make for a good mosh-pit fodder. It's a light-hearted fun take on the pulpy side of the Mythos, with hooks the size of Cthulhu's claws... pure Lovecraftian cheekiness! Musically, it bears some similarities to bands like THE LAMP OF THOTH, DEEP SWITCH, HELL, TANK, MISFITS, THE BLOOD, BÖC, MANILLA ROAD, CIRITH UNGOL and M.O.D., but it is a very peculiar album, and one that tastes best with your favourite booze!
• The long awaited 3rd album of this UK based old school heavy metal band, whose previous releases gained them a big exposure in the scene, also thanks to having been chosen one of the "Bands of the Week" and promoted by Fenriz of Darkthrone.
• Featuring two members (vocalist/songwriter and drummer) known from The Lamp of Thoth which has a cult following.
• A completely H. P. Lovecraft inspired album appealing to the Cthulhu Mythos enthusiasts.
• Cover art painted by Jowita Kaminska (Exodus, Manilla Road, Attacker, Witchburner, Forsaken, Deceased, Meliah Rage...).
• The band is very active live, playing regularly in the UK and abroad, including gigs and important festivals in Sweden, Denmark, Malta, Germany, Austria, Portugal and Belgium.
• For fans of: The Lamp of Thoth, Deep Switch, Hell, Tank, Misfits, The Blood, Blue Öyster Cult, Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, M.O.D....
Cover art by Jowita Kaminska-Peruzzi (www.jowita-kaminska.com).